Guide to Posting or: How I Stopped Worrying And Submitted A Post
IT'S NOT A PARTY POST I JUST WANTED TO RESURRECT THIS barely used GIF
So we had that mod post the other day and some of you wanted a guide to posting so we've written one up for you. Before I go on, I'd just like to remind everyone that the guidelines for submitting posts are in our profile page. But we're going to take it one step further with an example. This is what usually happens for me when I want to make a post:
1. find an article. I'm going through my dashboard and one of the tumblrs I follow updated with an article. I want to share it with Omona and talk about it with them! Before I do that I backtrack a few pages and a couple of tags to make sure it hasn't already been posted. It hasn't? Okay let's begin.
2. So now I head on over to omonatheydidnt , hit "Post to community":
and here we are!
BTW, we had a list of sources awhile back here (that probably needs to be updated.). Feel free to go through them~
3. So I paste the article I find and then I add both the translated source (with proper credit depending on how they want it) AND the original language article. There's more on proper sourcing etiquette at the end of this post. I always want to make sure it's the most direct source to the articles whenever possible, including specific twitter posts, international fan forums (even if a mod can't access the page because they're not a member), and tumblr page.
If it's a long article I make sure to put most of it under a cut:
I highlight the text I want to put under a cut, click on "Livejournal Cut" (circled above), edit the Read More... text or leave it alone and BAM, lj-cut.
If it's an article with subject matter that is potentially triggering to some users in the community, put those triggering details UNDER the cut not before. I know it's kind of obvious but someone recently used the trigger (say trigger one more time) warning tag and posted the stuff BEFORE the cut.
4. Now I'm going to add pictures to my article. Here's what the mods say they DON'T want: hotlinking and Photobucket. What is hotlinking? It is when I take an image from a non-image hosting site (i.e. Allkpop) and putting it on a different website enabling it to steal bandwidth and sometimes the images turn to shit when the page generates a lot of traffic. So what about Photobucket? Photobucket PRO is highly recommended otherwise you get this. I am assuming that if anybody submits posts and the pictures are from photobucket that they are from a PRO account and we will approve it. If you aren't using a PRO account then you're going to have to live with the fact that your images will get broken immediately and the first page of comments will be "where's your pictures?" "flop post" etc. I know at least a couple of us don't reject posts with Photobucket images so please be aware of the differences between Pro and Basic.
Tumblr images apparently DO expire and there's more explanation here but tbh I feel like Tumblr got better with that???? I'm not sure. I personally don't mind using Tumblr for image hosting, that is until the pictures eventually expire and hopefully that's later on down the line.
Otherwise you have: imageshack, tinypic, and Livejournal to host those images for you. I highly recommend using Livejournal: you don't have to open a new tab and it becomes a less tedious effort. I do this when I'm too lazy to open a tab. For Basic and Plus users you get 1GB, Paid users get 2GB and that is not a bad deal at all.
How to upload an image using livejournal:
1) Click on the insert photo button
2) Browse: to add multiple files hold down the CTRL or shirt button
3) Add image name and description if you want.
4) Resize them if necessary
5) Add to post! :)
If you already have the images in your album just select the option From Album.
If you are adding a picture you uploaded somewhere else select the option Paste URL.
4. Oh, my favorite's MV is out and I'm going to post it! I know livejournal has been messing around with the Embed Media function lately but the easiest way to do it is just grab the embed code:
Click on Embed Media (circled below) and paste the embed code (not the youtube url):
Source the video at the end of the post (either the direct video or the youtuber who uploaded it) and VOILA!
If I find the MV on some other site that wasn't Youtube, Vimeo or Dailymotion it's perfectly okay not to include the commentary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The focus of the post is the MV, not the article ok honey unless that article is translating what's in the video. Same goes for photoshoots and editorials. Hell, you can even write your commentary if you can come up with something witty, funny, fantastic etc. Or not, whatever. Fashion posts though, obviously the details are necessary so there's that exception.
5. I tag it with the appropriate tags and then I SUBMIT THE POST. I know the waiting time varies between a couple of minutes to several hours due to the varied schedule of the mods.
BUT WAIT i got a rejection letter D:
How come my post got rejected?
Here are some reasons (no order) why on any given day:
1. Sources did not go outside of the cut
3. Already posted (that's if more than one person submitted the same thing at the same time)
4. image or video before the cut might be larger than 540px in width
5. You forgot the subject!
Remember that once you've fixed the issues you can always resubmit and try again. No shame y'all. I remember when I first started posting (before I became a mod) I made many mistakes, it happens. If anything you could message us directly if you have any issues. JUST REMEMBER TO TURN ON YOUR MESSAGES! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Some of us would get messages but we couldn't get back to them because your inbox is closed. Open them!!! Or else we'll find an old thread or a personal entry and respond to you there.
6. Finally, this is how you add a source. Put it outside the lj-cut so that whoever you got it from can see that you've given them credit. Common internet courtesy, and there was a mod post awhile back about this. I included an embed in this post so I type the name of the source and ...well, you know how to link right?:
HOPE THIS HELPS. if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. come inside, maybe you have a couple of questions that someone has already asked.