2:56 pm - 07/14/2009

30 Percent of South Korean College Students Seeking Cosmetic Surgery

Kim Yoo-mi, a 20-year-old student at a local junior college, is busier during her summer break than she was when school was in session. Part-timing at a convenience store in the morning and at a department store in the afternoon, she's working every minute of her vacation toward her very first nose job.

"It's hard sucks to work 12 hours a day, but getting my nose lifted is going to be completely worth it," said Kim, who blames her low nose bridge for low self-esteem.

With 700,000 won in savings, she has less than one month to make 1.5 million won to help pay for the surgical procedure that's expected to total about 2.5 million won.

If money allows, Kim says she even plans to have double eyelid surgery.

The college sophomore's open attitude toward cosmetic surgery isn't uncommon as it reflects the perspective of today's early 20-somethings.

In fact, more than 30 percent of 921 male and female university students said in a survey Tuesday that they plan to seek some kind of plastic surgery during their summer vacation.

More women (40 percent) were up for cosmetic enhancement than men (19 percent), according to the poll done by online job portal Career, but an overwhelming majority of respondents said there was no shame in getting a little nip and tuck for a boost in confidence.

Almost 80 percent of those who were willing to undergo a surgery said they hoped to get rid of their physical inferiority complex, while others named better looks and job hunting as their top reasons for turning to a cosmetic surgeon.

Eyes, nose and teeth, in that order, were the areas that respondents wanted the most work done, with both men and women putting the popular double eyelid surgery as No. 1 on their wish list.

Lee Dong-jin, a plastic surgeon at BSL Clinic, said people's overall perception toward cosmetic surgery has drastically changed in recent years, as more celebrities are openly accepting facial enhancements.

"Such openness is fanning the plastic surgery trend more, so young students should especially give it thorough thought on why they're wanting to undergo the procedure," he said.

According to the poll, more than 41 percent of respondents up for a surgery plan get money from their parents, while the remainder are working part-time jobs to shoulder the costs that typically range anywhere from 1.2 million won to 7 million won.

albeitalways 14th-Jul-2009 12:34 pm (UTC)
hmm.. interesting. i know cosmetic surgery is quite the norm there, lol even kids as young as 12 undergo the knife, but only 30%?? thought it was a bit higher.
czarny 14th-Jul-2009 12:39 pm (UTC)
30% of people who admit to it, of the remaining 70% there will be those who probably wouldn't be so honest.
nubby_tail 14th-Jul-2009 04:41 pm (UTC)
And I thought 16 was already pretty young... 12?!
What the hell, you're still developing. That's like getting laser eye surgery during your teenage years--it's pointless.
This page was loaded Nov 15th 2019, 8:46 pm GMT.