Girls' Generation revealed their dilemma in determining where they stood as musicians.
Recently on a show program, the group came out and revealed their great life as singers but also their behind stories about their hardships and concerns as a group.
During the interview, the staff asked them whether they were an artist or an idol. Girls' Generation debuted at an early age and reached fame quite quickly in both Korea and Japan as well as the world.
Jessica commented, "It is an honor to be called an idol group. However, now it seems that everyone who is young is an idol group."
Sooyoung commented, "Honestly, we want to be called an artist." Yuri added, "It is hard for us to state which one we are. What our fans and the public calls us is what we will be."
Through their answers, we were able to get an idea of what the members thought about being an idol and an artist.
1. [+2,543, -110] That was a good laugh ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+2,315, -94] What they just spouted is about the equivalent to a monk rapping a 16 bar rap
3. [+2,101, -83] Maybe they're asking for hate to be shoved down their throats... An absolute gag that the most idolest of them all Sooyoung is the one that said it
4. [+1,988, -62] My pet dog wants to be called a tiger as well
5. [+1,737, -75] Artist ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
6. [+1,609, -71] You can say all the bullsh*t you want in Japan but try that in Korea and you'll find yourself in deep sh*t
7. [+1,384, -68] Artist ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Funniest thing I've heard ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
8. [+1,215, -57] Wouldn't even be getting all this hate if she just kept her mouth shut...
9. [+1,181, -75] You guys are just instruments to the music created by others
10. [+1,111, -59] Sooyoung's quite ambitious for the top 3 most nugu member in SNSD...
11. [+961, -37] I remember Sooyoung said the same thing a few years ago. Do they compose or write lyrics? What can they do without the power of their company? What do they do aside from trying to gain attention with visual concepts, not music, and focusing on managing their bodies and plastic surgery? Are they talking about all the hours they put in to dance rehearsals? Shaking your butts and exposing your legs make you an artist now? I acknowledge their success as an idol, but if they have any shame at all, they should stop using the word artist.
12. [+920, -42] This is disrespectful to the real artists... SNSD does not have a musical identity and sing simple hook songs.
13. [+458, -34] Reminds me of the college report Sooyoung shamelessly wrote where she said what's the difference between SNSD winning a Daesang on the three broadcast channels and Kim Yuna winning a gold medal. She sounded like she was pissed that Kim Yuna was treated like an artist and they weren't ㅋㅋㅋ
14. [+299, -15] This is about as hilarious as Seohyun saying she wants to be the first idol turned diplomat and Taeyeon saying that becoming an idol is the equivalent to the bar exam in difficulty
15. [+196, -8] I'm a Soshi fan myself but this is seriously so wrong ㅋㅋ All they do is mouth the words to whatever song the company hands them and dance like backdancers to dances already choreographed by others on top of dressing in whatever the coordi puts them in. That's an artist? ㅋㅋ I wouldn't call idols anything more than products out of a factory.
source: netizenbuzz + naver + kpopstarz
that is the biggest joke i've heard in a while. sorry but netizens hit it right on this time, when every aspect of your life is controlled by other people who tell you how/what to do and you have basically no input in it, i dont see how you can even think about being an artist. and did sooyoung and taeyeon really say those things the netizens say? that is sad.