It looks like the million milestone might not be unachievable in this era, after it was revealed that EXO’s first full-length album ‘XOXO’ has now sold over 900,000 copies as of writing.
As of October 11th, EXO’s first full-length album (released on June 3rd) has sold 441,332 copies, with the repackaged version album (released on August 5th) selling 469,641 copies. Adding up both numbers, the total number of copies sold now stands at 910,973.
EXO’s first album ‘XOXO’ continues to be a hit with fans till this day, and the number of copies sold is still on an upward curve. With that in mind, it might be possible that EXO could break the million milestone before the year is up even.
Since Kim Gun Mo’s 7th album and G.O.D’s 4th album back in 2001, no one has managed to crack the million milestone since due to the rampant illegal downloading of music and the fast shrinking music market. With the legalization of music downloads in 2005, EXO could become the first to surpass the million milestone since the ruling was passed.
EXO had managed to sell 740,000 copies by early September, which was within 3 months of its release in June. And this helped EXO to set a new record for the 1st time in 12 years.
EXO has already concluded promotions for their first album, and are now busy preparing for their new album. They will also be performing at ‘SMTOWN LIVE WORLD TOUR III in Beijing’ on October 19th at the Beijing National Stadium in China.
By: Jeon Ah Reum
Article: EXO hits 900,000 album sales, will they become the first million sellers in 12 years?
Source: Newsen via Nate
1. [+532, -36] No way. Their first album sold 441,332 (6/3) and its repackage sold 469,641 (8/5), which means they only sold about 500,000 copies of one album. That's amazing but a joke compared to god's 4th album and Kim Gun Mo's 7th album. SM's just trying to milk more money out of their stupid fangirls by sticking in a few new pictures, and the album sales clearly show that the same stupid fangirls who bought the first album bought the repackage again. Stop trying to force a lie. I get that EXO's popular and has a lot of fans but million sellers? ㅋㅋ As if
2. [+463, -22] My friend works at a record store and during EXO's fan signing event, she said it was a mess ㅋㅋㅋ Students would come in and buy several dozens at a time... Foreigners bought so many copies, she couldn't even find the words for it ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ This is why it's more important to have fans than music quality...
3. [+431, -26] EXO's fanclub members probably bought a few hundred copies each ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
4. [+54, -17] That trashy album sold that much?
5. [+51, -2] This article is just baiting stupid fangirls to hurry up and hit that million mark ㅋ
1. [+893, -93] How is combining the sales of two albums supposed to count as million sellers? Then all of the artists out there are million sellers ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+698, -83] Look at this media play... The total number is clearly the combination of their first album and its repackaged.. ㅡㅡ
3. [+631, -55] They go on several fan signings a month and stupid fangirls will buy dozens of albums to attend.
4. [+490, -39] You only call an artist who sold a million copies with one album a million seller... not a combination of two different albums.
5. [+249, -28] SM could probably release an album with nothing but the recording of EXO's fart sounds and their stupid fangirls will buy 10 copies each
For more information gaon chart:
XOXO kiss ver = 246 035
XOXO kiss ver repackage = 265 760
XOXO hug ver = 190 413
XOXO hug ver repackage = 157 111
source: netizenbuzz, koreastardaily.ph.omg.yahoo