The CEO of Cube Entertainment, Hong Seungsung, and BTOB’s Hyunsik has apologized for the misunderstanding caused by Hyuna’s g.o.d hommage song, “From When and Until When”.
On the 31st of July, the CEO of Cube Entertainment uploaded an apology notice online, in which it read:
I am the CEO of Cube Entertainment, Hong Seungsung.
I apologize for the misunderstanding and inconvenience the song “From When and Until When” from Hyuna’s 3rd mini-album has caused concerning the issue of it being an hommage song.
This song, composed by BTOB’s Hyunsik and written by Hyuna incorporated lyrics from g.o.d’s “Opposite Attraction” word for word.
I apologize for not letting Park Jinyoung, g.o.d and their fans know earlier that our artists composed this song as an hommage.
We acknowledge the fact that we did not go through the official process, and that we were not devoted to the intention of our artists’ works, and we promise to be more careful in these areas in the future so that this incident does not happen again.
We apologize once again to the members of g.o.d, Park Jinyoung and the fans.
BTOB’s Hyunsik also wrote on his personal Twitter:
"Hello. This is BTOB’s Hyunsik. I started off with the intention of paying hommage to the respected g.o.d members and producer Park Jinyoung, but I would like to sincerely apologize for my thoughtless actions and not letting you know in advanced.
I will strive to be a better fan and hoobae who will not embarrass you. Lastly, I sincerely apologize to those who have been hurt for my mindless action.”
Upon hearing about this hommage song, g.o.d’s agency, Soulshop Entertainment, and member Kim Taewoo responded on the same day, in which they expressed that they were thankful for paying hommage to g.o.d, however they also expressed that it was disappointing that there had not been any discussions regarding the hommage beforehand.
They also expressed that, had there been previous discussion, the song would not have caused so much of an issue and would have also yielded better results.
However, they said that they would take this hommage as a compliment and hoped that in the future, any other hommage songs would be composed after discussion.
g.o.d’s Kim Tae Woo on HyunA and Hyunsik’s Homage to Their Song: “We are thankful but (the situation) is unfortunate.”
Kim Tae Woo, from the group g.o.d, has released an official statement regarding HyunA and BTOB Hyunsik’s alleged plagiarism of g.o.d’s song “The Reason Why Opposites Attract” in HyunA’s newly-released track, “From Where and Until When.”
According to a statement by Kim Tae Woo’s agency Soul Shop Entertainment on July 31, “We’re grateful for HyunA and Lim Hyunsik‘s homage (to our song) with Hyunsik’s self-composed and written song, but it’s very unfortunate that we came to know of this belatedly and we weren’t consulted nor did they get consent from us beforehand.”
“Although we’re left with the regret that it could have been a better picture if they only consulted us ahead of time, we will take this incident well as it has the intention to honor and congratulate g.o.d’s comeback,” added Kim Tae Woo in the statement. “We hope there will be prior consultation in the future,” he emphasized.
Article: god Kim Tae Woo reps, "Hyuna's homage, I'm thankful but it's regretful" official statement
1. [+5,734, -174] Definitely not an homage, it's a forced excuse!!
2. [+5,562, -113] Sigh, even JYP said that they would've liked it if they had received prior notification but I guess god and JYP are just being nice for the sake of Hyuna... I bet they would've stayed quiet about it if it was never discovered. They should be grateful they're not being sued.
3. [+4,918, -87] He's right, an homage needs prior notification... They didn't even reveal that it was an homage right away, only after they got caught..
4. [+3,716, -133] He's such a senior about it, especially since he can just call it plagiarism~
5. [+627, -14] Kim Tae Woo beat around the bush but he basically called it plagiarism ㅋㅋ
6. [+499, -12] If they had said it was an homage from the start, I'm sure god fans would've been in support of it... but their dishonest attitude has only brought more antis for him. A shame, they should be more careful next time.
7. [+495, -13] Were they seriously caught just stealing it? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
8. [+475, -13] Hyomin called it an homage too after being caught by the netizens but I guess homages lately are only revealed after the fact?
Article: Cube CEO, "god homage, carelessness by the company... apologies for not checking the details"
1. [+963, -42] They should've made sure plagiarism suspicions never arised from the start. Why is that they only release an official statement after the homage articles are up? They're lucky god's reps let go of it lightly
2. [+871, -138] Sure.. but are you calling them artists? ㅋㅋㅋ You wrote that to make us laugh, right?
3. [+630, -57] Sounds like another case where they claimed they never heard of it after plagiarism suspicions arose and then randomly gave credit a few months later... and called it an homage ㅋ
4. [+580, -60] Quite the early apology, eh? ㅋㅋㅋ
5. [+355, -11] What has the temp CEO been doing letting the scandal reach this point? Did they really make father Hong write this up mid-treatments? The company really can't handle a matter like this on their own?
6. [+103, -21] From now on, anyone in a plagiarism controversy can just say it's an homage
7. [+86, -7] As someone who's been a fan of artists under Cube, I'm not even surprised that the apology is so late, I'm surprised that they even apologized at all..
source: koreaboo, soompi, osen, xports news, netizenbuzz