In light of the recent controversy between Mnet and iKON’s exclusion from the charts, the issue focused towards YG Entertainment’s excessive media play.
A post on Pann highlighted one of the reasonable explanation as to why Mnet decided to exclude iKON’s warm single “My Type” from their official rankings. As Mnet has stated in the past, non-promoted tracks are excluded from winning the trophy. The only artists who was excluded from the rule was Busker Busker, the winner of Mnet’s Superstar K3, while Roy Kim, an artist signed by CJ E&M, Naul, IU and other artists did not react to similar issues.
This statement led to netizens to focus on YG Entertainment’s reaction towards iKON’s exclusion from the official rankings as they accused the agency of putting out articles as deliberate media play instead.
As a response, the netizens expressed their thoughts on the controversy and revealed to have been fed up of the agency’s media play.
Below are collections of news titles that netizens claim are media play by YG
“IKON, disappears from MCountdown..outside of rank range? that’s weird~”
“MCountdown responds, the issue grows bigger”
“IKON controversy MCountdown vs fans ‘Rules’ vs ‘Abuse of Power’.”
Also one line in an article made netizens all the more suspicious, and the line was a quote by YG employee “We are strongly suspicious that they may have neglected IKON from nominees in order to give another group 1st place.”
YG: We will need to reconsider iKON appearing on MCountdown https://t.co/h5vsUSPXfI— SHOWTIME! (@ikonOT7) September 25, 2015
[+ 377, – 18] No wonder broadcast channels don’t like YG. They want an image of nobility with their group so even when they’re rookies they don’t go to any other smaller shows and pick and choose. This time they wanted 1st place without even making an appearance. Of course they’re going to think you arrogan
[+ 299, – 31] I think YG expects a lot of things from IKON. They didn’t do anything like this for WINNER or even Big Bang. Although their concert tickets are all becoming filled with invitation seats..it was overshooting to have a rookie group hold a concert in such a giant venue to begin with.
[+ 280, – 92] YG went a little too far this time.. and honestly I think there is a definite possibility that there may have been sajaegi involved (not worked on by the company but by fans). Besides that their media play during the JTBC incident and even against M Countdown is too much..
Winner - 6 days
iKON - 12 days
CNBLUE - 15 days
FT Island - 55 days
TVXQ - 74 days
SHINee - 123 days
Super Junior - 232 days
2PM - 255 days
B2st - 360 days
Bigbang - 385 days
EXO - 433 days
Shinhwa - 442 days
Infinite - 488 days
VIXX - 562 days
SS501 - 564 days
Teen Top - 574 days
2AM - 577 days
BAP - 750 days
B1A4 - 757 days
Block B - 913 days
1. [+380, -40] I realize that Winner is really amazing. I also learned that EXO actually rose slowly.
2. [+287, -49] EXO is interesting. They took longer than expected ㅠㅠ
3. [+112, -4] Block B worked hard ㅠㅠ They've gone through a lot. Winner is cool.
4. [+87, -6] Where are iKON stans that said it took them 0 days ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Jang Bum Joon has never performed, are you gonna say he didn't debut yet? ㅋㅋㅋ
5. [+85, -4] Yes. If there's no broadcast promotion, then the starting point should be the date when the song was released digitally. If you use the date of broadcast promotion for Busker Busker, you'll have to say that they won a daesang before debut. All of them are amazing btw.
6. [+77, -21] Will anybody break Winner's record? There could be a same record but I don't think it can be broken.
7. [+70, -18] Wow... Winner's amazing
8. [+69, -2] There isn't any bad song from Winner. They're not too loud and are comfortable to listen to.
Sources: Koreaboo, Pann, iKonOT7@Twitter, MrBunny@OH, KPKF, Pann
edit: Added the group names + days it took