Article: "Please call me by my name rather than 'heuk hyung'"... Sam Okyere confesses about racism in Korea
Source: Ilgan Sports via Nate
heuk hyung = black brother
1. [+2,057, -89] Ah... heuk hyung.. I never thought of the word as racist
and I'm so embarrassed for that. I thought it was just a friendly, witty term of endearment.
I'll have to fix that, how does Okyere oppa sound ㅋㅋ
2. [+1,713, -67] He's right. Racism is rampant in Korea. If you're not a handsome blonde English speaker, people will be racist to you.
3. [+1,570, -74] I understand elders being racist because they haven't had much opportunities to come across foreigners but our generation shouldn't be like that, especially to South East Asianers...
4. [+93, -5] If the person feels that he is being discriminated against, then it is our responsibility to stop it
5. [+65, -7] He himself is saying he hates being called black brother so why would anyone try to argue that it's not racist?
It's not right at all to call someone by their race. You need to see them as a human being before the color of their skin. It's like Asians having to suffer questions like "Are you a ninja? Are you good at piano? Are you good at math" by foreigners overseas. It doesn't matter if it's a compliment, judging someone by their race is wrong.
6. [+49, -3] I lived in Ghana for about three years and my friends always ask me if I see giraffes and lions everywhere but there are really only dogs ㅋㅋ I could relate so hard when Okyere-ssi said there are only dogs where he's from ㅋㅋ
7. [+42, -7] Black brother... I never thought of that word as wrong but now I see that it might be taken the wrong way by the other side
( Collapse )