Kangnam is facing criticism after he asked what many have said were ignorant questions about Ghana to Sam Okyere.
On the October 22 episode of SBS’s “My Ugly Duckling,” H.O.T.’s Tony Ahn and Kangnam visited Ghanaian television personality Sam Okyere.
As they sat in the living room talking, Sam Okyere, who has been living in Korea for nine years, said that he had a busy schedule when visiting Ghana. Hearing this, Kangnam asked, “Are you a celebrity there?” When Sam Okyere answered that he even does interviews, Kangnam asked in surprise, “Are there televisions in Ghana?”
Tony Ahn tried to ease the situation by saying, “Of course there are televisions in Ghana,” but Kangnam continued to ask if Ghana also had broadcasting stations or clubs. Sam Okyere explained that the cities in Ghana are like Seoul before joking, “I have to go to zoos to see a lion, too.”
Seo Jang Hoon, who had been watching the whole scene, commented that Kangnam must think Ghana was simply like plains.
Although the overall tone of the conversation was not entirely serious, netizens said that Kangnam’s questions were rude and racist. “Isn’t he too rude? Even if it’s a joke, he’s belittling [Sam Okyere’s] country,” commented one viewer.
Sam Okyere had previously talked about racism he has faced in Korea during JTBC’s talk show “Talking Street.” He shared his experience of having a random woman on the subway tell him to “go back to your own country,” insulting him for his skin color. He publicly criticized the racist blackface skit on SBS’s “Comedy Hunter” as well.
Meanwhile, Kangnam has been criticized for his aggressive [op's note: aggressive? more like violent] language toward 9MUSES’ Kyungri in the past.
[Netizens]Article: Gangnam showers Sam Okyere with rude questions
Source: Mydaily via Nate
Gangnam: "Ghana has TVs?"
Tony: "Of course they do. You're being rude."
Gangnam: "Do they have channels like MBC? Or variety shows?"
Sam: "We have everything. We even play Korean dramas."
Gangnam: "And subways?"
Sam: "We don't have subways but we have buses. And even airplanes. Lions too (sarcasm)."
Gangnam: "You guys have lions?"
Sam: "Well obviously I have to go to a zoo to see lions. Ghana's cities are similar to Seoul."
Gangnam: "Similar to Seoul? You guys have buildings? And clubs?"
1. [+3,174, -55] How can you be this dumb...
2. [+3,064, -45] He probably thought he was being funny. I'm sure we all know a few people like him around us who spit out things without thinking. Such a waste of my time dealing with them.
3. [+2,694, -52] He really did cross a line yesterday...
4. [+299, -2] Sam was so smart in Ghana that he received government support to study abroad in Korea. You, however, are a failed idol who had to live off of your mom's money until you lucked out on a variety show and earned a flash of fame before dropping to the C-list tier that you are now. Sam is fluent in English and Korean but you're so dumb you haven't even gotten Korean down yet. If you're trying to look down on someone, you need to be better than them in at least one thing, so what were you thinking to speak to him like that???
5. [+255, -2] Imagine if you went to America and some American kept asking you "does Korea have TVs? clubs? high rise buildings?" wouldn't you be pissed hearing that too?
6. [+203, -4] Didn't Gangnam get in trouble for threatening to beat Kyungri up last time too ㅡㅡ what's wrong with him
7. [+168, -4] As the saying goes, frequent farting leads to pooping... with all this farting that he's doing, he's going to get himself into a big scandal soon.
8. [+159, -4] At this point I'm glad UEE broke up with him ㅋㅋ how can he be so disrespectful and senseless?
Sources: Soompi via Insight, Netizenbuzz via Nate