Police have confirmed that SHINee’s Jonghyun (27) has passed away, and are currently investigating the singer’s death.
According to the police and fire department, Jonghyun was found unconscious in a residence on December 18 at approximately 6:45 p.m. KST. Emergency responders performed CPR and the singer was immediately rushed to the hospital, but in the end, Jonghyun was unable to be revived and was pronounced dead.
The police arrived at the scene at a report of disappearance filed by Jonghyun’s older sister, who reportedly received a final text from Jonghyun that led her to believe he would be attempting suicide.
At the residence, which, according to a source, was not Jonghyun’s own home but a place he had reserved for two nights, police found what appears to be burned coal, leading them to suspect the death was by suicide. However, police are still investigating the matter and have not confirmed the cause of death.
Jonghyun’s agency, SM Entertainment, reportedly cannot be reached at the moment.
Source: Soompi, 1, 2, 3, 4, SonexStella
I'm stunned and numb with disbelief. I didn't want to believe it when I saw a mutual mention it on tumblr, and though someone was just playing some kind of sick joke, until I saw tons of news outlets confirming the information when I searched for it.
Edit OP note: I removed the text that Jongyun sent his sister, once it was pointed out that that shouldn't be something that gets spread around. I'm sorry that I didn't realize that originally, and I apologize if it upset anyone further.
Edit OP note #2: This is a post from tumblr that I have seen circulating, please please please if you are suffering or if you are thinking about harming yourself, or if everything just seems like it's too much, or you just need someone to talk to, reach out to someone. If you do not see your country listed here, please leave information in the comments and I will update. Throwing this under an LJ cut because the list is long.
- Depression Hotline:1-630-482-9696
- Suicide Hotline:1-800-784-8433
- Trevor Project:1-866-488-7386
- Sexuality Support:1-800-246-7743
- Eating Disorders Hotline:1-847-831-3438
- Rape and Sexual Assault:1-800-656-4673
- Grief Support:1-650-321-5272
- Runaway:1-800-843-5200, 1-800-843-5678, 1-800-621-4000
- Exhale:After Abortion Hotline/Pro-Voice: 1-866-4394253
- Child Abuse:1-800-422-4453
- UK Helplines:
- Samaritans (for any problem):08457909090 e-mail email@example.com
- Childline (for anyone under 18 with any problem):08001111
- Mind infoline (mental health information):0300 123 3393 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mind legal advice (for people who need mental-health related legal advice):0300 466 6463 email@example.com
- b-eat eating disorder support:0845 634 14 14 (only open Mon-Fri 10.30am-8.30pm and Saturday 1pm-4.30pm) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- b-eat youthline (for under 25’s with eating disorders):08456347650 (open Mon-Fri 4.30pm - 8.30pm, Saturday 1pm-4.30pm)
- Cruse Bereavement Care:08444779400 e-mail: email@example.com
- Frank (information and advice on drugs):0800776600
- Drinkline:0800 9178282
- Rape Crisis England & Wales:0808 802 9999 1(open 2 - 2.30pm 7 - 9.30pm) e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rape Crisis Scotland:08088 01 03 02 every day, 6pm to midnight
- India Self Harm Hotline:00 08001006614
- India Suicide Helpline:022-27546669
- Kids Help Phone (Canada):1-800-668-6868, Free and available 24/7
- suicide hotlines;
- (Hong Kong:2389-2222)
- Costa Rica:606-253-5439
- Czech Republic:222-580-697, 476-701-908
- India:022 2754 6669
- Latvia:6722-2922, 2772-2292
- New Zealand:4-473-9739
- New Guinea:675-326-0011
- South Africa:0861-322-322
- South Korea:2-715-8600
- Trinidad and Tobago:868-645-2800