The Rose’s agency J & STAR Company has apologized for the band’s recent music video “She’s in the Rain,” which contains images that were posted on the Instagram of SHINee’s Jonghyun.
On October 16, the agency began, “We are speaking regarding The Rose’s new music video. We judged that it would be best to give a response after accurately checking on the part using the late Jonghyun’s Instagram photos in the new music video, so we first ask for your understanding on the time taken in the process of checking.”
The statement explains, “We, J & STAR, worked on this new music video with production company Beat Logic. We find that a problem like this occurred while discussing the story and different understandings of the song in the process of the music video production before the filming.”
The agency revealed the official description of the song, which reads, “‘She’s in the Rain’ is a song that expresses comfort to those who are tired because of the loneliness and difficulties of life.” Beat Logic received this description of the song and included the photos on set in commemoration of Jonghyun.
“We, J & STAR, and our artist The Rose went into filming without recognizing this, and this occurred as we did not know about it even until the day of the music video release. J & STAR and Beat Logic both have the same stance that this was not carried out with ulterior motives of using pain of a specific individual for business or marketing purposes,” the agency continues.
The agency concludes by writing, “Regardless of the reason, J & STAR expresses deep apologies to his family and agency SM Entertainment, and we also express sincere apologies to fans who cherish The Rose and the many fans who cherish the late Jonghyun. The agency and production company are deeply sorry for not having carried out a more careful and detailed process. We once again express sincere apologies to everyone who must have been hurt by this. J & STAR has read the opinions of many people on this situation through several outlets, and we will do our best to prevent any further problems and not cause any more pain.”
The music video has since been removed from YouTube.
Article: The Rose under controversy for using late Jonghyun's SNS pictures without permission... "We meant it as a sign of remembrance and consolation"
1. [+229, -8] Shouldn't they have gotten full permission before broaching a sensitive problem like this? Well, congratulations on your successful noise marketing. Imagine how upset Jonghyun's fans and his family must feel right now.
2. [+200, -6] Please don't pain his family and fans again
3. [+191, -7] A bunch of flashy excuses for what basically is use without permission ㅋㅋㅋ shameless
4. [+10, -0] Please don't mess with the deceased
5. [+9, -0] They have balls... they dared to mess with SM
6. [+7, -0] I'm so, so, so angry that Jonghyun's name is being used in the media like this. So beyond angry, I'm boiling... I can't help but think this whole thing is noise marketing.
7. [+5, -0] How can you use Jonghyun for your own noise marketing??? You're less than trash. Please get a mental health check because I don't think you're sane.
8. [+5, -0] Do you really want to market yourselves in such a dirty way..
9. [+4, -0] How can you sleep at night knowing that you're making money off of the sadness of others?
10. [+4, -0] 100% noise marketing
Source: TheRose0803 via Soompi, No Cut News via Netizenbuzz
Does anyone have an idea if Beat Logic has worked with SHINee/Jonghyun before? I find it weird that they'd go for Jjong's pictures otherwise...Also no comment on if they were granted permission to use the pictures beforehand? At least the MV is taken down...