A thread on a Korean site was posted called ‘BTS who are having a controversy in Japan right now’. The thread maker brought up a t-shirt Jimin wore last year, the shirt commemorated National Liberation Day (August 15th, liberation from Japan’s colonial rule) so it has the print of the mushroom cloud from the atomic bomb and Korean people cheering with their hands up for Liberation Day.
The now 23-year old Jimin (whose birth name is Park Ji-min) is sporting a long-sleeved T-shirt with the words “Patriotism our history liberation Korea” printed a few dozen times across the back. The photo is claimed to have been taken last year on August 15, National Liberation Day of Korea, which coincides with Japan’s surrender which ended World War II and formally brought to an end Korea’s status as an imperial Japanese colony, making the shirt’s written message a timely one.
What some in Japan are calling les appropriate, though, is the photo at the top right of Jimin’s shirt, which wasn’t taken on August 15, but rather August 6, specifically August 6, 1945, and shows the mushroom cloud of the atomic bomb that was dropped by the U.S. military on Hiroshima and resulted in at least 70,000 civilian deaths, with some estimates of the loss of non-combatant life at more than 120,000.
Celebtrities in Asia wearing T-Shirts emblazoned with English text they ostensibly don’t understand isn’t without precedent, but the timing of Jimin’s wardrobe choice, as well as the unmistakable image of a nuclear bomb detonating, has drawn criticism from online commenters in Japan, and even some in Korea. According to news portal Record China, while some Korean online commenters have been supportive of Jimin and his shirt, others have expressed disappointment at what they see as insensitive politicizing by one of their country’s entertainers as his band stands on an increasingly global stage.
BTS WHO ARE IN A CONTROVERSY IN JAPAN RIGHT NOW
"National Liberation Day"
The Japanese are going crazy because of the picture of the atomic bomb and the picture of National Liberation Dayㅋㅋㅋ
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 00:44
Bangtan are so refreshing. I will seriously join the fandomㅋㅋㅋ to be honest, didn't they cancel that collab with the right-wing too? [+1099, -18]
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 00:25
they also got cursed for wearing Marymond (T/N: clothing brand to support comfort women) and for donating to the comfort women. Unbelievable [+914, -5]
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 00:43
Yah, I'm seriously joining the fandom. [+782, -10]
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 01:00
Bashing the Japanese= the right thing to do [+461, 0]
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 01:53
That's the spirit [+315, -2]
"They consistently used goods in support of female rights (Marymond, support North Korean women, etc.) and the last screenshot was from a tweet that V made during their Japanese schedule = he was wearing a shirt from Marymonde who are in support of comfort women"
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 01:32
Do you want me to tell you what's even more ridiculous? There are so many Japanese fans who hate Yoongi. The reason being that he wrote a song about Gwangju's Democratization Movement. They also hate Namjoon a lot because he wrote the poem called 'Tiger' back in middle school (T/N: a patriotic poem)... [+297, -1]
ㅇㅇ |2018.10.14 01:51
Wow but Our History is such a cool brand. Seriously, they have lots of other meaningful t-shirts aside of the one Jimin wore [+267, 0]
KOREAN IDOL, BTS JIMIN WEARS MUSHROOM CLOUD T-SHIRT
1. [+9,032, -36] I’m disgusted with many Korean people because things like this exist.
2. [+5,626, -31] Don’t come to Japan ever again
3. [+5,700, -26] Disgusting
4. [+5,205, -40] He’s seriously ugly huh
5. [+4,852, -39] Ugly
6. [+3,861, -31] He’s ugly
7. [+3,566, -39] Enough already. Ban all Korean people from entering the country.
8. [+3,548, -20] Please do not come to Japan.
9. [+2,759, -18] They’ve done it again
10. [+2,643, -33] Isn’t he uglier than your average person walking around wwww
11. [+2,306, -26] He looked like a middle-aged lady on the topic picture
12. [+2,100, -22] Terrible
13. [+2,051, -13] I’m shocked that such a t-shirt exists
14. [+1,317, -12] Scary
15. [+982, -31] Isn’t this an old story?
16. [+839, -18] His nose and eyes look like a mushroom cloud
17. [+724, -76] Why is something from last year coming up now?
18. [+340, -10] Don’t step a foot on Japanese land!
19. [+271, -4] Because he’s Korean it seems like it was on purpose huh
20. [+381, -12] He’s an idol with this face? Disgusting!
21. [+199, -2] BTS is famous for being anti-Japanese
Source: RecordChina, girlschannel via ping japan | pann via pann-choa | soranews24