MAMAMOO took to the stage at the 2018 MAMA Fans’ Choice in Japan on December 12 with each member showing their talents through solo stages as well as the group’s performances of “Egotistic” and “Starry Night.”
Hwasa wore a red bodysuit for the performance, and after the show, articles about Hwasa’s performance and outfit ranked high on the list of portal Naver’s most-viewed articles. As of 11 a.m. KST on December 13, Hwasa was at No. 1 on the list of rising realtime search terms on Naver.
There were mixed reactions, with many people saying they enjoyed watching because she looked confident and cool, while others said they felt embarrassed to watch with their family members. One commenter said, “I was taken aback by it, but she was so cool and sexy.”
A source from MAMAMOO’s agency RBW has responded, “We didn’t know the outfit would become such a topic of discussion. We just chose an outfit that fit well with the song she was singing on stage, as we usually do.”
Article: "Possible because it's Whasa" vs "Sexually suggestive"... debate over '2018 MAMA' outfit
Source: X Sports News via Nate
1. [+776, -96] She's not sexy, she just tries to act like she is.
2. [+769, -129] She needs some restriction, it was gross with the way she was shaking her butt when it's clear with the way she looked that she didn't work out at all with how flabby they were. I was embarrassed to death for her... Why is Mamamoo always only in the news for racism, skin showing, lesbian skinship, and feminist controversies? Whatever happened to those other scandals about Solar making fun of Hwayobi's vocal cord nodules and singing along to a song about murder? ㅋㅋㅋ
3. [+747, -129] Ugh my eyes
4. [+75, -43] Why is it okay for Beyonce to dress like this but Whasa can't? Foreign ceremonies have stuff like this all the time ㅡㅡ
5. [+72, -27] I wonder what her grandma would think of this
6. [+70, -44] It's cool when Beyonce does it but sexually provocative when a Korean does?? We're living in 2018, right?
7. [+68, -46] She seems like such a kind and warm person on 'I Live Alone', I don't know why she gets so much hate. Sure, her outfit may be considered sexual, but I found it cool how confidence she looked! Whasa-ssi, don't let the comments get to you and find strength. You have supportive fans too!!
8. [+61, -7] As if her outfit wasn't bad enough, she had her butt out, spreading her legs... She's so talented already, why does she go so extra with her performances ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ
9. [+60, -22] She's so blah, I don't get why people try to make her so popular...
10. [+46, -7] These screencaps are only showing her front side so people aren't seeing just how bad it is. Please search her performance up and watch it The backside of her outfit is a mess. Her bottoms climb up higher than her underwear. It's like she's wearing half of an underwear. I was so embarrassed for her, she looked completely crazy.
1. [+2,660, -249] It wasn't sexual, she looked like a warrior....
2. [+1,402, -68] People need to take a performance for what it is. It's not like she dresses like this out on the streets.
3. [+1,117, -39] It looked like a foreign singer putting on a show. And the ceremony was rated 15+ so I don't get what the fuss is about.
4. [+1,027, -65] Beyonce always wears outfits like this when she performs, even Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Whasa would be considered demure compared to them.
5. [+13, -13] So it's fun and beastly when male idols take their shirts off and show their nipples but controversial when a girl shows a bit of skin? ㅋㅋㅋ
6. [+118, -6] Um Jung Hwa dressed like this too... this is nothing for foreign singers... probably just considered another average stage outfit
7. [+131, -33] She looked pretty and pulled it off well ㅋㅋ so cool~
8. [+88, -10] I thought she looked cool?? Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Madonna all wear these outfits, it's only the media calling trouble
sources: soompi, kmib, Mnet K-POP, netizenbuzz, x sports news, naver