Before his contract with the agency was terminated, YG Entertainment confirmed that Seungri would be enlisting as an active duty soldier on March 25. Shortly afterward, the Military Manpower Administration clarified that Seungri’s enlistment would go ahead as planned unless an arrest warrant was issued and he was imprisoned before his enlistment. If the investigation were to continue past his enlistment date, the police would work with the military to continue the investigation.
Seungri’s second round of questioning, after first being investigated on February 27 for charges that included violating the law on the punishment of prostitution mediation, began on March 14 and ended at 6:14 a.m. KST on March 15.
After the questioning was over, he appeared in front of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency and made a statement. He said, “I have finished the investigation for today. If it’s possible, I plan to delay my military enlistment date. I will make the official request today to the Military Manpower Administration. If they give permission, I will delay the date in order to complete the investigation until the very end.”
Seungri did not respond to any other questions from reporters.
The Military Manpower Administration has responded to Seungri’s announcement to request the postponement of his military enlistment.
Early in the morning on March 15, Seungri completed his second round of questioning for various charges including violation of the law on the punishment of prostitution mediation. Before leaving the station, Seungri appeared in front of the press and announced his plans to make the official request to delay his military enlistment date.
However, Ki Chan Soo, the Chief of the Military Manpower Administration, stated that it will most likely be impossible for the singer to delay his enlistment.
He said, “Because there are no legal grounds allowing the Military Manpower Administration to delay [Seungri’s] enlistment, if the situation persists as it is, [Seungri] will be investigated in the military after enlisting.” He continued, “If he makes the request to postpone his enlistment date, we will take a look at his reasons and carefully examine them.”
If Seungri does make the request to delay his enlistment, the results will have to come out within 10 days before his scheduled enlistment date on March 25. Previously, the Military Manpower Administration also clarified that Seungri will be enlisting as planned unless an arrest warrant is issued and he is imprisoned before his enlistment. If the investigation continues following his enlistment, the police will work in partnership with the military.
Jung Joon Young has returned home after his first round of questioning from the police.
The singer arrived at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency on March 14 at around 10 a.m. KST, and his investigation ended on March 15 at around 7 a.m. KST. He was questioned regarding charges of filming and circulating illegal hidden camera footage.
As he was leaving the police station, he commented, “I feel extremely apologetic. I answered diligently and truthfully. I also submitted the ‘golden phone‘ as is and told them everything truthfully. I am very sorry for causing trouble.”
When asked, “Who is the ‘police chief‘?” he responded, “I will reveal that through the investigation.”
On March 15, Lee Jong Hyun’s agency FNC Entertainment released an official statement regarding the recent report from SBS about conversations that he had with Jung Joon Young in the past.
The statement reads as follows:
On [March] 12, we released an official statement regarding our agency celebrity Lee Jong Hyun saying, “His relationship with the controversial celebrities is only as an acquaintance who was in contact with them, and he has no relation to this incident.”
Before releasing this statement, Lee Jong Hyun, who is currently serving in the military, cooperated with the request for questioning by the police who visited his unit on the afternoon of [March] 12. Of the approximately 20 one-on-one conversations presented by the police at the time, there were no illegal videos that he circulated, inappropriate videos that he received, or problematic conversations, so he relayed his statement [as such].
Lee Jong Hyun left the chatroom himself a long time ago, and it was difficult to confirm the exact facts regarding KakaoTalk conversations from four to five years ago, so the agency was only able to release a statement based on his claims relying on his memory of the past. We had no intentions of hiding the truth or covering up wrongdoings.
After the report by SBS on [March] 14, we got in contact with Lee Jong Hyun and confirmed the truth. He is reflecting and is [aware that] he deserves criticism as he watched the videos via KakaoTalk, had inappropriate sexual conversations, and inappropriate conversations degrading women as reported. He would not have been an idle bystander if he had proper sexual understanding, and he is regretful about this. He expresses his deep apologies to those who received pain due to the immoral and inappropriate conversations he had without a sense of guilt and also to everyone who has been disappointed.
Feeling embarrassed and horrible, Lee Jong Hyun accepts the criticism of the public regarding his wrong sexual morality and values and is deeply regretful and criticizing himself. He will be careful about all of his words and actions as a public figure, and he will reflect and accept the consequences of his wrongdoings.
Sources: News Chosun, Money Today and Naver (1, 2) via Soompi 1, 2, 3, 4)