1:05 pm - 03/16/2019

Burning Sons mini news round-up for today

Police conduct search and seizure of of Jung Joon Young's and Burning Sun employee Mr. Kim's houses

Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Provincial Special Detective Division received search and seizure warrants to investigate Jung Joon Young’s and Mr. Kim’s houses. Mr. Kim is a Burning Sun employee who was in a chatroom where illegal hidden camera photos and videos were shared amongst Seungri, Jung Joon Young, and more. It was also reported that Mr. Kim set up the cameras.

The police began searching their homes around 2 p.m. KST. This follows the 21-hour questioning of Jung Joon Young at the police station.

During the investigation, Jung Joon Young submitted three cell phones. These cell phones are currently undergoing a mobile forensics process. However, due to the possibility of having old phones saved as unused phones, a search and seizure warrant was carried out.

Furthermore, the police have relayed that an arrest warrant will be requested soon.


In other news, former FTISLAND member Choi Jong Hoon will be investigated as a suspect for suspicions related to illegal hidden cameras tomorrow (March 16) at 10 a.m. KST.

Choi Jong Hoon to be investigated for hidden camera suspicions + police officer questioned for his drunk-driving cover-up

According to news outlet Newsis, former FTISLAND member Choi Jong Hoon will be investigated by the police tomorrow at 10 a.m. KST.

Choi Jong Hoon will reportedly be investigated as a suspect by the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Provincial Special Detective Division team. Yesterday, it was revealed that Choi Jong Hoon allegedly shared a photo of a woman sleeping in a group chatroom. Therefore, he has been booked on suspicion of spreading illegal photos/videos.

He is also under suspicion of requesting the police to cover up news of his drunk driving incident in 2016 which did not become public knowledge until recently. There has been further criticism of him as he reportedly went to a club in Taiwan with Seungri within a month of his drunk driving case.

According to a police source, the lieutenant related to Choi Jong Hoon’s drunk driving case has been investigated. Lieutenant A was a team leader in the Traffic Investigation Unit at Yongsan Police Station at the time of Choi Jong Hoon’s case. The source said, “I heard that lieutenant A was questioned, but circumstances of close ties have yet to be confirmed.”

Chatroom messages revealed Choi Jong Hoon talking about his drunk driving case in March 2016 and Seungri noting that the CEO of Yuri Holdings helped Choi Jong Hoon cover up the news by using a lot of money.

Lieutenant A is currently not receiving external calls. It appears as though he will not be working at his precinct station for a while according to reports. Another police source who worked with lieutenant A at the time said, “At the time, there was no instance of a higher-up saying, ‘Make sure news doesn’t come out,’ and giving pressure.” However, police officers have noted “that most celebrity drunk driving cases become known to the press, so Choi Jong Hoon’s case not being reported is somewhat odd.”

Previously, Choi Jong Hoon was investigated by the police as a witness in the suspicions of prostitution mediation against Seungri.

After admitting to drunk driving, Choi Jong Hoon announced his departure from FTISLAND and his retirement. He later released an apology.

Choi Jong Hoon arrives at police station + apologizes to victims



On March 16, Choi Jong Hoon arrived at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency for questioning and stood before the press at 10 a.m. sharp KST.

The former FTISLAND member, who is currently under investigation for allegedly spreading illegally taken photos and videos, made a brief statement before entering the police station. After bowing his head, Choi Jong Hoon announced, “I will earnestly participate in the police’s investigations. First, I’m sorry for causing trouble to our society, and I will earnestly undergo investigations.”

When asked if the suspicions that he had spread videos of sexual activity were true, Choi Jong Hoon replied, “I’m sorry.”

However, when asked about the allegations that he had requested that the police cover up news of his drunk driving incident, he denied them with a simple “No.” He also denied that he had personally asked Yoo In Suk, the former CEO of Yuri Holdings, to do so for him. When asked to name the police officer who had sent him a text message on his birthday, Choi Jong Hoon replied, “I don’t know.”

Finally, when asked if he had anything he wanted to say to the victims, Choi Jong Hoon said again, “I’m sorry.”

2D1N to go on indefinite hiatus following JJY's controversy

“2 Days & 1 Night” will be suspended indefinitely.

Although Jung Joon Young was removed from the program, many viewers called for the show to halt production as Jung Joon Young was brought back after his first controversy in 2016.

On March 15, the program shared the following statement:

KBS “2 Days & 1 Night” will be halting broadcasts and production.

KBS has banned singer Jung Joon Young, who is being investigated for the filming and circulating illegal footage, from all programs. Furthermore, it has been decided that “2 Days & 1 Night” will halt broadcasts and production for the time being. With this, another program will be scheduled to take the “2 Days & 1 Night” time slot starting this week.

In consideration of the viewers who wait for “2 Days & 1 Night” every Sunday evening, we reviewed the option of editing out singer Jung Joon Young from all the footage of the two episodes that have been filmed. However, realizing the severity of the matter, the decision was made to reorganize the program overall.

KBS deeply apologizes for not managing our cast members thoroughly, and we will prepare measures to avoid a recurrence.

Especially as singer Jung Joon Young had a similar controversy three years ago, we feel strong responsibility for simply accepting the decision of the investigative authorities to acquit him and not verifying completely before deciding on his return to the cast.

KBS will prepare fundamental measures including intensified screening of cast members in order for a similar incident to not occur again.


Further allegations made against Seungri regarding prostitution services and tax evasion

On March 15, Channel A’s “News A” reported that they received information about a tip the police received containing allegations against Seungri for providing prostitution services.

According to “News A,” the informant is a prominent business figure in Gangnam who has watched Seungri’s activities from close by. The informant stated that when officials from Japanese construction company “K” visited Korea, Seungri entertained them at Burning Sun. He also allegedly sent Korean women to Japan for the purpose of prostitution.

The tip also states the exact price of sending the women overseas. In response to the report, a source from Seungri’s team stated, “That never happened. He’s just friends with the CEO of company ‘K,'” and denied the allegations.

“News A” also reported that Seungri is under suspicion of tax evasion. In 2016, Seungri founded the company BC Holdings with Yoo In Suk, the CEO of Yuri Holdings at the time, after which they invested more than 30 billion won (approximately $26.5 million) in companies, including Korean fund management company Peregrine Investments.

They then purchased ready-mixed concrete companies, invested in Vietnamese corporations, and expanded their business. The National Tax Service focused on the origin of the 30 billion won (approximately $26.5 million) and began internal investigations as to how a new company like BC Holdings with capital of just 50,000 won (approximately $44) raised funds of over 30 billion won.


As allegations continue to surface against Seungri, the singer has announced that he’ll request to delay his impending military enlistment and fully cooperate with ongoing investigations.

On top of his KakaoTalk group chatroom controversy where illegal clips of women were shared with Jung Joon Young, Choi Jong Hoon, and others, Seungri is also facing accusations of gambling overseas and providing sexual escort services to business partners.

Jung Joon Young reportedly received services from prostitute as gift from former Yuri Holdings CEO

KBS has reported that Jung Joon Young received services from a prostitute arranged by Yoo In Suk, the now former CEO of Yuri Holdings.

The March 15 broadcast of KBS1’s “KBS News 9” included a report on Yoo In Suk, who recently underwent police questioning for allegations of providing prostitute services for business investors. He is known for being Seungri’s business partner, and he has been named as the “problem solver” in the group chatroom that also includes Seungri, Jung Joon Young, Choi Jong Hoon, and four other individuals.

KBS shared recreated screenshots of a conversation between Yoo In Suk and Jung Joon Young from December 25, 2015 (Christmas day). In the conversation, Jung Joon Young gave an address to Yoo In Suk, and then asked him if he should just send the prostitute back afterwards. Yoo In Suk confirmed that with symbols for laughter.

Jung Joon Young replied, “She seems to be an expensive ***,” and Yoo In Suk said “Yes” with more symbols for laughter.

“Okay. Is she coming now?” asked Jung Joon Young, and Yoo In Suk replied, “Yes, she will be there in 30 minutes.”

30 minutes later, Jung Joon Young asked him, “Hyung. Why isn’t my gift here?” KBS stated that the services from a prostitute appeared to be given to him as a Christmas gift.



In a conversation from April 7, 2016, Jung Joon Young also told CNBLUE’s Lee Jong Hyun that he had met prostitutes in Berlin and had sex. He told him that the women there were good and explained that many were Romanian.



KBS news stated that in addition to charges of the filming and sharing of illicit videos, Jung Joon Young may also be investigated for prostitution. South Korea’s law for criminal jurisdiction follows the nationality principle, meaning that its nationals can be prosecuted for crimes such as sex tourism committed abroad.


Sources: Naver (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) and YTN News via Soompi (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
vintage_boom Re: 2D1N News16th-Mar-2019 06:01 pm (UTC)
damn wish I read this before I made my comment. here's hoping it stays as just gambling because I just really don't want to know how many people have victimized those women on the videos.
happypurinsu Re: 2D1N News16th-Mar-2019 06:12 pm (UTC)
For now, it's only reported to be about gambling - which is bad enough for their careers, given Korea's strict laws.
ah0000 17th-Mar-2019 01:03 am (UTC)

They better end up in the same situation as shoo then if not worse. If they get off easier....

happypurinsu 17th-Mar-2019 01:11 am (UTC)
While I don't disagree that they should be punished if found guilty (and Cha's apology just now seems to confirm), I just want to point out that the circumstances are different - Shoo was caught gambling (and building up a huge debt) repeatedly overseas at casinos, whereas it's reported that Cha and Kim betted/gambled more internally with each other. If that's true - it's too early to tell - then Cha and Kim will probably get off easier than Shoo did.

Edited at 2019-03-17 01:12 am (UTC)
This page was loaded Sep 19th 2019, 3:03 pm GMT.