4:33 pm - 08/21/2019
SM accused of plagiarizing foreign designer Paris 99 for Red Velvet's comeback
Greatly appreciate so many of you bringing to my attention k-pop group @redvelvet.smtown wearing garments that take heavy “inspiration” from my work. No one on the team @smtown ever reached out to collaborate on designs, which I would have loved to participate in. The company also took from our imagery which we created with artist @ondine.vinao. It deeply hurts to see large groups, that could have helped out a small designer, instead take from our hard work and brand it as their own. Check out our story for me examples
SM Entertainment is under suspicion of plagiarizing Red Velvet's new concept outfits.
Many fans have left comments under the group's official Instagram @redvelvet.smtown asking for clarifications because according to the designer, SM's designs clearly plagiarized his work as evident from the checkered and wave patterns in the dress and straps. According to netizens, "Red Velvet's clothes also have a very similar vibe to those worn by Paris 99 models."
The controversial outfits were worn as part of the jacket photos for Red Velvet's new mini album 'The ReVe Festival 'Day 2' that was released on the 20th.
[Netizen comments]1. [+919, -26] SM is a repeat offender when it comes to stealing outfit designs, no?
2. [+820, -34] SM has quite a few scandals themselves, just that they're always being buried by YG
3. [+801, -122] SM has been known to copy international designers and concepts since their SNSD days ㅋㅋㅋ I wonder if they'll finally get what's coming for them
4. [+118, -0] Just looks like picnic blankets...
5. [+50, -36] Even before Red Velvet, SM copied SNSD's outfits too
6. [+44, -5] And here I was thinking Red Velvet was dressed decently for once
7. [+38, -5] Why doesn't SM just buy the outfits? Why do they always rip off designers? It's not like SM doesn't have the money for it?
8. [+37, -26] As if it's only Red Velvet, it was no joke with Soshi too ㅋㅋ
9. [+31, -0] For a company that makes so much money, you would think they'd just buy luxury brands to dress their idols in
10. [+22, -0] You can basically assume that the majority of SM's outfits are plagiarized. If you look them up, SM idols are dressed in all sorts of copied designs from other brands and designers. The majority of BoA's outfits are copied from Beyonce and Rihanna.
11. [+20, -11] That's undeniable ㅡㅡ
12. [+17, -0] It's not news that SM copies their outfits
source: daum, dailynaver, paris99, netizenbuzz, nate
Is this inspiration or plagiarism?