Here's a run-down on what happened with Hong Jin Young in the last two months:
- Hong Jin Young is famous for having a Ph.D. Especially at the beginning of her career her degree was often referenced in interviews and variety shows, helping her to get noticed. (She has a Bachelor of Commerce, Master of Trade, and Ph.D in Business Administration from Chosun University.)
- In 2013, the first rumor of plagiarism appeared and she denied them on Radio Star saying, “You all know the world we’re living in. Why would I lie about that?”
- On November 5, a news report said that Hong Jin Young’s master’s thesis from Chosun University had been plagiarized. According to the report, Hong Jin Young’s master’s thesis “Research Regarding Cultural Content Industry Trends Through the Korean Wave,” submitted to Chosun University’s Department of Trade, recorded a score of 74 percent on the plagiarism review site “Copy Killer” after it was tested by an anonymous informant.
- “Copy Killer” is a well-known plagiarism review program in Korea. According to the report, out of the 556 sentences in Hong Jin Young’s thesis, the program detected 124 sentences with more than six words that matched other sources, as well as 365 sentences suspected to be plagiarized.
- In response to these accusations, her agency denied all claims in an official statement and confirmed with HJY herself that she did not plagiarize. They cite the professor who reviewed her thesis at the time, who said it was typical in 2009 (when the thesis was under review) to have lots of annotations of both quoted citations and references and it was a period where many quotes were required to pass the thesis review. And that the system "Copy Killer" began obligatory use in universities beginning 2015, so it is inevitable that a thesis that was reviewed in 2009 when the system did not exist would come out with a high score. [Full statement]
"Hello, this is IMH Entertainment.
We are here to give our official stance on reports from today involving accusations that singer Hong Jin Young plagiarized her master’s thesis.
Hong Jin Young diligently researched and wrote her master’s thesis ‘Research Regarding Cultural Content Industry Trends Through the Korean Wave’ for Chosun University’s Department of Trade.
Regarding the claims in the reports made today that the plagiarism score surpasses 74 percent, we want to present the opinion of the professor who was in charge of reviewing Hong Jin Young’s master’s thesis at the time.
According to the professor, Hong Jin Young’s master’s thesis was under review in 2009. At the time, it was typical to have lots of annotations of both quoted citations and references and it was a period where many quotes were required to pass the thesis review.
Additionally, ‘Copy Killer’ is a system that began obligatory use in universities beginning 2015 and is meant to filter out submissions with more than 50 percent plagiarized content. It is inevitable that a thesis that was reviewed in 2009 when the system did not exist would come out with a high score.
Since there can be misunderstandings, we want to deliver the opinion of the professor who concludes that you cannot view it as plagiarism. Outside of the quoted citations and references, we confirmed once again with Hong Jin Young herself that the artist did not plagiarize in the research of her thesis.
The review system was flawed at the time but we want to convey that the thesis at hand is Hong Jin Young’s own creation that does not plagiarize any other works.
- In reaction, HJY's former professor went public saying that her master thesis is 99% plagiarized, not just 74%. He rarely saw her at school and she didn't attend his classes. "Based on her scores throughout her bachelor's, master's and Ph.D. period, I am willing to testify that all her papers are fake," the professor said. He also strongly hinted at nepotism saying "it cannot be denied Hong's father, who is also a professor at the school, had an influence."
- HJY then posts something like an apology on her IG, where she doesn't admit to plagiarizing. Instead she emphasizes that she worked hard on her thesis “I organized my time, conferred with the professor, and did my absolute best to create the thesis. Even though it passed without a problem at the time, now people are saying that it is being judged by some percent or other, and I am disappointed and frustrated because whatever I say now will sound like an excuse.”
But because of the controversy she will now give up her master's and doctoral degrees.[Full statement]
"Hello, this is Hong Jin Young.
First, I’d like to apologize for bringing up this unfortunate issue. I have worked hard for the past 10 years, pouring sweat and tears into my work, and am disappointed at the malicious gossip that has arisen. I’m sorry for causing so much concern. I am sincerely sorry.
I received my master’s degree after submitting a thesis in 2009. I organized my time, conferred with the professor, and did my absolute best to create the thesis. Even though it passed without a problem at the time, now people are saying that it is being judged by some percent or other, and I am disappointed and frustrated because whatever I say now will sound like an excuse.
However, I think that this is something I should take responsibility for. Now that I think about it, [a graduate degree] was something that didn’t suit me. I think I was too ambitious.
I’m sorry. Regardless of the reason, it makes me sad to think about how I’ve been caught up in this scandal. I am also self-reflecting about whether I was too ambitious in the past. I’m really sorry. I was lacking in so many ways.
I’ve decided to give up my master’s and doctoral degrees. I think that is the best thing that I can do at this moment.
All of this was due to my carelessness and mistakes. Once again, I sincerely apologize for causing people concern."
- On December 15, the Ethics Comittee at Chosun University made the tentative judgment of plagiarism regarding HYJ's master’s thesis. They gave her until Dec 18 to submit an explanation, before making a final decision on whether or not plagiarism took place through a meeting on Dec 23. If this officially determines that she plagiarized, then both her master’s and doctoral degrees will be automatically canceled.
- The deadline comes up and on Dec 18th Hong Jin Young shares a hand-written letter on IG admitting to plagiarism and apologizing for lying. [Full letter]
"Hello, this is Hong Jin Young.
It’s already very late and I know that I can’t undo anything. However, I’m writing because I want to sincerely apologize and ask for forgiveness, even if it’s at this point in time.
On the day that I was making a comeback with a new song, a report came out about thesis plagiarism. I was so scared about what I should say and my mind went blank.
I think that even then, I couldn’t let go of my greed.. I was so scared because I felt like I wouldn’t be able to go back on stage again if I admitted to plagiarism.
So that’s why I was busy trying to justify myself by saying things like, ‘The professor said that there was no problem’ and ‘I’m not going to be lecturing with my degree.’ It was because I was scared that everything in my life so far would look like a lie.
I even had the lackadaisical thought that if I gave up my degree, then maybe people would let it go, maybe they would forgive me. That’s why I used the expression ‘convention.’ Maybe I was only thinking about finding a way out.
If a mistake is made, one must properly apologize and be chastised for it… Rather than reflecting, I was just busy making excuses. I wasn’t able to act in a mature or adult way. I made a mistake.
I will accept Chosun University’s tentative conclusion of plagiarism and I will deeply repent. I’ve also acted very disrespectfully toward the people who even now are working all day and night on their master’s and doctoral theses. I’m sorry. I admit to everything and I will reflect.
I have received greater love that I deserve. I will now pay back that love while quietly spending time reflecting on myself and doing meaningful and good things.
I once again apologize. I am sincerely sorry."
source: soompi 1 2 3, naver 1 2 3 4 5 6, koreajoongangdaily, sedaily, zapzee, netizenbuzz (pic)